BEAUTY ON A BUDGET TIPS BY ROYALBEAUTY VEE

7.28.2013

My Natural Hair Story


My Natural Hair Story

Being a Natural is one of the most liberating experiences of my life!
That’s a strong statement right?!  Well, I’ve self-published a novel, I’ve toured the east coast doing motivational speaking, I’ve led teams of over 400 people in MLM, I’ve hosted countless empowerment events, I’ve organized countless beauty workshops, I’ve been featured over a dozen times on some of the biggest social natural hair platforms online and I’m the creative director of my own beauty column entitled “Beauty Intoxicated” on www.beautyintoxicated.com
However, thee most notable of all …I AM A NATURAL MOMMY. 

For years I relaxed out of frustration, and wore weave for convenience and length. I had a complete disconnect and disdain for my naps. I was NEVER taught how to properly care for my hair so I did what I knew: permed it. Perming made it easier to manage BUT what I didn’t know was… the awful damage I was doing to my natural hair. I was relaxing hair that DIDN’T NEED TO BE RELAXED BECAUSE THERE AIN’T A DAMN THANG WRONG WITH BLACK HAIR! Whoooo knew??? LOL! I sure didn’t!

I big chopped in February 2010 after yearssssss of irreversible hair damage.  At this time my intent wasn’t to “go natural”, I just wanted the ‘appearance’ of healthy hair. The first year after I big chopped was a rollercoaster, I relaxed my naps a few more times and endured some color damage and heat damage. At this point I still didn’t learn my lesson so I was engaging in the same damaging styling behavior getting the same damaging results. I switched gears and started wearing half-wigs until my hair grew out to cornroll length. After that I begin wearing full sew-ins and at this point my hair begin to grow like wild fire. I wore my Brazilian weave hunty and you couldn’t tell me nothing lol. Looking back I now I realize that I still wasn’t fully connected to my natural-ness (yess that’s a word lol). 

My TRUE hair revelation came from an African workshop that I decided to attend one weekend in VA. I was INSTANTLY captivated by the amazing textures, voluminous curls, jaw-dropping afros, gorgeous locs, kinky curls, and flawless coils in the building. I felt like I just walked into HAIR HEAVEN! That one experience changed my life. I was ready to unleash my Natural fire! Returning to natural was the best decision I have EVER made for my hair.
Everywhere I go people of all cultural backgrounds compliment me on how beautiful my natural is. I’m obsessed with my texture and overall I’m just simply obsessed with Natural Black hair!
Hey Curlfriends!!!

3 responses:

I am so infatuated with natural women because I am a natural man. I don't smoke and I'm a health nut in and out. I think you are a beautiful woman and a very talented individual. Stay natural bay.

I am in love with your website as well now! You are beautiful and talented all the way around. So glad that Jazzmyn linked me with you. I love to see this. A dedicated mom, wide and writer on top of those two jobs already! Three loves that I have myself! Wishing you much success and continues blessings! Telisha Marie

I am in love with your website as well now! You are beautiful and talented all the way around. So glad that Jazzmyn linked me with you. I love to see this. A dedicated mom, wide and writer on top of those two jobs already! Three loves that I have myself! Wishing you much success and continues blessings! Telisha Marie

Post a Comment

LIVE | LOVE | and LAUGH
"You are NOW Under the Influence of Beauty"
www.BeautyIntoxicated.com